What You Need to Know

Getting Ready for a Trip Port Eliza Lodge

Lodge from the water.jpg

Do I need a fishing licence?

  • All recreational fishers, including juveniles (individuals under 16 years of age), are required to hold a Tidal Waters Sport Fishing Licence if fishing in tidal waters (saltwater). The licence is free for fishers under 16. If fishing for salmon, a salmon conservation stamp is also necessary. Fishing Licences can be purchased online on the  Fisheries and Oceans Canada website. Be sure to fill in the correct dates and print your licence as you must have it on the water: BUY A FISHING LICENCE

Storing my catch (BYOB customers)

  • We recommended that you bring 150 quart coolers in which to store your catch and bring them filled with chipped ice which can be purchased at Campbell River Seafood at 1900 Island Highway, or in Zeballos at the Zeballos Ice plant which can be accessed by boat. We will have ice to top off your coolers also but the supply is limited.

  • Past clients have had good success with this method keeping their catch fresh for up to a week.

  • Fish processing services including vacuum packing and flash freezing are available for a reasonable cost. 

What should I bring with me to Port Eliza Lodge?

  • All personal toiletries and medications

  • We have rain gear for you to use, however If you have your own rain gear you prefer to use feel free to bring it. 

  • The weather on the west coast can change quickly, so it is best to bring some warm clothing and bring layers. While summers are generally warm, it can be cool in the morning and on days with rain or wind. 

  • Sunscreen, hats and sun glasses are recommended as the suns rays reflect off the water. 

How can I prevent motion (sea) sickness?

  • Motion sickness prevention medications are available at most pharmacies.  These include  Dramamine and Gravol tablets (Dymenhydrinate), Bonamine (meclazine) is available in the US but not in Canada, and there is also the Scopolamine Transdermal Patch. Some people have success with pressure bands such as sea bands, alone or in combination with medications. If you aren't sure about which medication to use consult your Doctor or Pharmacist.